Monday 24 August 2009

Recipe post!

On Sunday, Douglas and I decided to make use of my new veggie recipe book I had acquired via a recommendation from a colleague at work.

We made sweet corn & Kaffir Lime leaf fritters and a tomato/chilli jam to have with them, and they were GORGEOUS!!

Next time, however we will make them slightly differently, so I thought I would write out the recipe with our amendments in. The recipe says serves 4, but as I had these as a major part of my meal had about half of them.

The flavour of the Lime leaves is not very distinct, so I don’t think I would put them in next time – as I’ve put in the recipe, Id use chives instead.

Chilli Jam

This takes about 45 mins to cook, so make it first.

I have halved the ingredients that the book gives, because you really don’t need much with the fritters. I used just a few teaspoons and have a whole jam jar of left over relish! Its really nice, and will keep, so I wont be wasted.

250g (1/2 lb) Fresh tomatoes
½ teaspoon baking powder
2 chillies (birdseye)
1 clove of garlic (more if you are a garlic lover)
1 tablespoon of soy sauce
100g (3.5 oz brown sugar)
40 ml (3.5 fl oz) white wine vinegar
¼ teaspoon of salt


A Photo from the net. Mine looked MUCH nicer than this, and my chilli jam was darker and more spicy!




Chop the tomatoes up roughly, take out the pithy stalk bit. Put in a food processor or liquidiser with the garlic and whiz it until its fairly smooth.

Put the tomato mix and everything else into a saucepan, and gently bring it up the boil, taking care to stir the sugar in to dissolve it.

Boil it on a gentle heat for about 45 mins, stirring frequently to ensure it doesn’t stick to the bottom of the pan. When its reduced and gone all sticky (bit like the consistency of a shop bought relish) take it off the heat and let it cool down.

Sweetcorn Fritters

275g 9oz sweetcorn (canned or frozen is fine)
65g 2.5 oz plan flour
1 teaspoon baking powder (if making this in advance, leave this until you are ready to make the fritters. Stir it in at the last minute)
1 egg (lightly beaten)
2 tablespoons soy sauce
1.5 tablespoons lime juice
4 Kaffir Lime leaves (very finely chopped) I put mine into a small pot, and attacked them with the scissors for a while whilst watching TV.
If you don’t have these leaves, get a small bunch of chives or a couple of spring onions, cut them very finely and put them in instead.

Method:

Mix everything together (oh, not the flour or baking powder yet), then put about half the mix into a blender/food processor and whiz it up till its smoothish. Mix this mixture up with the rest of the sweetcorn, sift in the flour, and just before you are ready to cook, stir in the baking powder.

Fry them in a frying pan with a little oil until they are golden brown on both sides. You could make them in batches, and store the rest in a hot oven until you have cooked the lot.

Serve with the chilli jam and some nice crisp lettuce.

PS

I think about my DDDMILs love of food, and her recipe blog. I think she might have liked this one...

( DDDMIL is Dear Departed Dreaded Mother in Law) I think she would have liked that too! lol

No comments: