Monday 8 August 2011

Sticky end to our Holiday!

On the Sunday night, Douglas didnt feel very well. We were due to leave Monday morning anyway, so I packed the car and had breakfast - Douglas by this time was feeling worse, and didnt eat anything.

We went to say our farewells on camp, and retrieve our camping chairs, but Douglas stayed in the car feeling horrible.

As we drove into Ripon, we decided to make a detour and go to the cottage hospital. It would have been about a two hour drive to Sheffield Hospital and we decided that Douglas really couldnt cope being in a car for that long.

The staff at Ripon were lovely. They found Douglas a trolley bed, and called their Doctor who arranged for him to be taken, by ambulance to Harrogate Hospital as Ripon is only really for minor injuries. Douglas was feeling and being sick, and his temperature had risen considerably.

I nervously followed the ambulance, having never been to Harrogate Hospital before. The driver was lovely and made sure I followed her all the way.

I met up with Douglas shortly after he had been given a bed, and stayed with him for what seemed like an eternity.

The Doctors came, but some iv antibiotics into Douglas as well as some pain releif - he had contracted yet another infection that because of his poor immune system had raged right through him very quickly.

So.. there he was, stuck in a Harrogate hospital and there was I, stuck without my beloved at the end our our holiday!!

I went home, as I couldnt think what else to do. I packed a suitcase with clothes, kindle, his mbile phone and many other home comforts, and had a bad nights sleep :-(

I phoned work early on the Tuesday, told them I wasnt coming in and why, and set off up to Harrogate again. I was devastated whenI got there to find I had left the lovingly packed suitcase at home on the living room floor!!!!

My lovely husband forgave me - he was just pleased I had come to keep him company for the day :-)

I reluctantly went home, and somehow managed to work on Wednesday - I think I was on Auto Pilot!!

On Thursday I went back up to Harrogate (work very kindly agreed I could have a days emergency leave... I think I would have gone anyway!!) This time, I took the suitcase with me!

The Doctors said there was no chance of me taking him home, although he was feeling much better, but then.. right out of the blue at 2pm they said he could go home!!!!!!!

After a very looong wait for his tablets, we escaped, and got home by 6pm!

Here endeth our summer holiday.

You won't be surprised to hear that I slept like a log that night, with my Douglas back beside me, and slept loads over the weekend to catch up with what I'd missed.

No comments: