Monday 19 January 2009

Simon again

Well, apparently broadband internet access is not the first priority in the Sahara. I'll send you a proper e-mail detailing the wonderfulness when I can. In the meantime I'll just finish off Cairo...:
The day we went to the Pyramids, Sarah was having her usual long lie whilst I was trying to finalise my Visa extension. Bureaucracy has been a fine art here for the last 4,000 years so I scttled around their giant building buying various stamps (NO - THE ORANGE STAMP) and trying my best to please them. We finally got underway after half 1 and were worried we wouldn't make it in time. Whilst waiting for the bus a guy called Mohammed (like everyone else in Egypt) in a typical act of Egyptian kindness decided that his personal driver would take us to the Pyramids road. This not being enough, he then flagged down a cab and paid the fare for the rest of the way.
The Pyramids themselves are more about what's going on in your head than the actual sights - though Sarah was pleased to note that they were actually bigger than the Oasis swimming pool in Bedford. It is incredible how large and old they are, and there weren't too many tourists when we were there. We even got to go inside the Great Pyramid, which was amazing, though pretty claustrophobic. Naturally there was a guy telling me how I was 'inside the Pyramid' and then tugging my sleeve for bakhsheesh - boy did he add to the experience.
Anyhoo, better shifty. will try to reply to everyone by the time I get to Cairo, at least in the next week or so.
Love as big and ancient as said monuments,
Simon

No comments: