Friday 1 January 2010

A lovely evening out

On the 30th, my mum sent me an email to work telling me she planned to see a film that evening, and would I like to go with her. This seemed like an excellent idea!

The film we planned to see was called "Morris, a life with bells on"

I quote from a website which tells you all about the film..

Morris: a Life with Bells on is a heartwarming feature-length comedy shot in documentary format that follows the fortunes of one of the leading Morris teams in the country, Milsham Morris, and in particular those of its leader, Derecq Twist. Morris is a gentle and affectionate look at an aspect of English culture which is, in the finest traditions of this country, unapologetically eccentric, and towards which there exists a huge amount of good will. The film's events take place in the summer months in and around Dorset, and specifically centre around an idyllic thatched country pub, the Traveller's Staff. The film is an unashamed celebration of not only the English countryside but also of what it means to be English.




I finished work at 5, and had to be in town for the movie at 6. Luckily, one of my colleagues was going to the same cinema (different film) and gave me a lift.

As we parked, I saw a tall gent in green trousers and a lovely red hat.. some of you will know I have sentimental memories of someone elses red hat, so I commented to him on how lovely his chapeau was!

When I got into the foyer, I met up with my mum and lo and behold.. rather a lot more chaps in green trousers (and the one with the lovely red hat) were gathering.. it was Sheffield City Morris come to dance and see the film!!

After a few dances, we all went in and watched the film! As an ex Morris dancer myself, and an ex folk dancer I found the film delightful.. and killingly funny - lots of "in" jokes as some folkies take their dancing very seriously indeed!!

After the film, my mum and I walked up into town, with broad grins on our faces, which somewhat offset the fact that it was terribly cold outside. We had hoped to eat at the little cafe linked to the cinema, but as that was closed we headed out to find something else.

We ended up at an extremely nice Italian, where we both had a pizza and defrosted before venturing out again, and making our way home.

Thinking about the film still makes me smile.. If you see it on anywhere near where you live, I strongly recommend you go see it!

2 comments:

Marcheline said...

I absolutely cannot WAIT to get my hands on the DVD for this flick - WOOOOT!

Derek Jacobi ROCKS. Can I just say that? *swoon*

Mrshappyanna said...

Hi M, its not out on DVd even here yet.. Yes, Derek Jacobi does rock.. his part in this is quite small though :)