Saturday 6 February 2010

Bringing back memories

My parents have gone on a short holiday, so I have been entrusted with the "Uncle sitting" duties from a distance.

My mum phones her brother (who is in his 80s, and not very well) on a regular basis - maybe a couple of times a week, to make sure hes ok, and to give him some company as he lives alone. These duties are now mine until my parents return :-)

My mum sent me a text saying they have got to their destination safetly this afternoon, so I rang Robert (the aforementioned Uncle) to let him know and have a chat.

He had been out in his car to a nature reserve on the coast in the Essex area, and had been listening to Classic FM on his radio. He heard a peice of music by Schubert that brought back some happy memories for him.

Robert had scribbled down "Schubert" and "Troika" on a scrap of paper, and wondered if I could locate the peice in question!

Douglas and both searched the internet using my little Iphone, but nothing came up, so I came up here to the computer which makes things faster and easier. Still nothing!

I phoned Robert back, and went through the Classic FM Playlist for earlier today.. still no joy! I went through the presenters names, and eventually Robert identified the presenter, and said it was his CD of the week. Armed with that info, I was able to find out that this desired peice of music was actually SCHUBERT: DIE SCHONE MULLERIN.

To further check that this was indeed the peice, I headed for You tube, and much to Roberts joy and surprise, was able to hold the telephone up to the speaker and let him listen to the first few bars.

Needless to say, I have now ordered this CD which will be delivered down to Essex some time next week.

I dont have many relatives on my side of the family, (two Uncles, one Aunt) so being able to track down an elusive peice of music, purchase it and send it off within the course of a half hour conversation makes me very happy.

2 comments:

Marcheline said...

That was really sweet of you - your uncle is a lucky guy to have you for a niece. I'm the sniffer-outer of books and music for my mom, who really appreciates the help, as she's not wired to think "Google"... ha!

Mrshappyanna said...

Hi M, good to hear from you.. its nice to be able to help the non googled generation isnt it! lol