Saturday 1 May 2010

Home made (in every sense of the meaning)

Please feel free to drool over a home made, and home grown rhubarb tart I made this evening.

My mum wasnt sure it would work, and suggested I make a crumble instead as rhubarb can be quite sloppy when cooked, but as Im stubborn I went ahead anyway ( I did, however listen to her advice and pre baked the pastry to stop it going completely to mush when the fruit went in)

As you will see below, it came out looking really nice!

Anyone fancy coming by and trying some? I dont know what it tastes like yet, but it looks delicious.. will let you know tomorrow.




Further to above.........

When I was making the pie, I chopped the rhubarb up and put it in a bowl to mix it with some nice fake sugar stuff called Splenda, as both Douglas and I have to be careful about the amount of real sugar we consume.

Douglas suggested I put some cinamon in too, so I got the jar from the cupboard and shook it over the rhubarb for the first sprinkle... strangely some little red bits came out of the jar, and I realised I had picked up and shaken the chopped dried Chilli jar instead!!!!

I told my beloved, who was quite amused, and as only a few flakes dropped in, we decided to leave them there.

I tried the delicious pie yesterday (the day after I made it) and whoa!! I realised Douglas and I had made a discovery.. HOT Rhubarb pie! (and I mean Chilli hot!) The pie has a kick!

Sadly, my parents are not keen on food with a kick, and as I try to be a good kind daughter, I have pre warned them, so when they come round today (Bank holiday Monday.. yeah!) they will avoid the delicious looking item in the fridge.

Maybe I should suggest this idea to Heston Bluementhal?

3 comments:

TDAIL said...

Ginger is an excellent addition to rhubabrb, but chilli?????? Did anyone actually eat it?

Mrshappyanna said...

Hello, yes I ate it all! I did give a bit to Douglas but rhubarb is on the red list for him so I enjoyed nearly every morsel.. and it was nice!

Pengper said...

sounds brilliant! I love chilli, and we have got a healthy pile of rhubarb in the garden waiting to be harvested, so do you mind if we pinch your recipe?