Monday 17 May 2010

Pineapple Friday



I purchased a lovely big pineapple last week, knowing that my parents have a marvellous pineapple slicer machine.

I popped into see them on my way back from work on Friday to have a tutorial from my talented father, in the art of pineapple slicing!



My dad cut off the top and bottom of the pineapple, pushed the device into the middle of the fruit, and started twisting. The blades go into the pineapple, turning it into rings as he twists.

I had a go at this, and didnt make such a good job my pineapple .... it went squiffy. I think either you need to be pretty strong, or you need to develop the knack for it.. or both :-D and I dont have either!

Action shot ! The white tube with the spiral on is hollow. The hard core of the pineapple gets sliced off and pushed up the tube - a wooden spoon is good to push it out.





Juicy pineapple being taken out of its skin





When the rings have been taken out, you can use a sharp knife to slice the last little bits out of the pineapple tube you are left with.





End result..rings of juicy sliced pineapple. It tastes about a million times better than stuff from the can!




For those of you who now feel like rushing out to buy one of these devices, my parents got theirs from Lakeland. They have a video showing how it should be done, but personally, I prefer my sequence of photos as...

a) My photos have my dad in them and not a poncy presenter and

b) I still have a load of this pineapple downstairs in my fridge and freezer!!!

NOM NOM NOM! (As they say in Cafe World lol)

For those of you who need a translation, this means yum yum yum :-D

7 comments:

Marcheline said...

I learned about "nom" from the "i can has cheezburger" (otherwise known as "lolcats") website.

New favorite word: "squiffy"

8-)

Anonymous said...

Does your Dad need the hat for protection??

Great to see him again! Give him my love...

TDBIL

Mrshappyanna said...

Mike.. the hat is indeed for protection from the evil pinapple monster lol!

He has a bit of a bald patch now, and tends to wear the hat to keep his head warm outside. He was doing some gardening or something when I arrived :-)

Mrshappyanna said...

Macheline.. how about pineapple liquour. That would get you squiffy!

Marcheline said...

Sounds great! Let's go!

Mrshappyanna said...

Marcheline.. If you ever manage a vacation to Scotland, give me lots of notice and mabye we can meet up?

Anna xxx

TDAIL said...

I'm catching up on your blog after getting back from Cornwall. I was going to ask about the need for your Dad's hat - but see your tdbil beat me to it.