Friday 29 May 2009

Everything apart from House maids knee

A week of illnesses...

Its been a lovely week weather-wise.. sunny and warm, not much rain.. garden is looking verdant, rhubarb tastes great, but sadly our family hasnt been doing quite as well!

Firstly I hear that my dad, whilst out running with his club, tripped over a hidden metal object in the path and landed (at some speed) flat on his face. He has cut the bridge of his nose and damaged his shin, and also cracked or at least bruised his ribs quite badly!

My parents went back along the path, and have found the object that tripped him up so badly - I hope the council will take action and remove this metal bar before anyone else gets damaged! Poor dad.

Next on the list is Douglas. He has got an ear infection in his left ear that has been incredibly painful. The GP gave him a spray, but as the pain got much worse, we went to the out of hours Dr service on Tuesday evening. The Dr we saw there gave him some oral antibiotics and lots of sympathy, both of which have helped. The Dr had had this type of ear infection herself, so knew how painful it was.

I'm glad to say that today, Friday, Douglas is feeling much better, and although he gets painful twinges now and then, hes going back to work today :-)

Sorry but the list keeps growing..

I have got a head cold (where else would you expect to have a cold?) its the stuffy sort not the type that requires half a tree worth of tissues, so there is very little to show for it. As a result of not being able to breathe properly, for the last three nights Ive woken up with a very dry mouth and a sore throat. Tuesday and Wednesday night were the worst.. I slept very badly and nearly fell asleep in a team meeting at work. I felt really grotty yesterday, but survived until about 2pm, when after an hour of being on the phones I felt ghastly.. I had a headache, felt too hot, very bunged up and very tired, so I went home (my team leader didnt look very impressed) and slept like a log for a few hours. I didnt even hear the phone when my mum rang!!!

I slept a lot better last night, and feel more human than I have for a day or so. Back to work again today, as I love my job, and really dont want to be off sick... I just couldnt cope yesterday afternoon. Poor me!!

Ok.. last bit of this tale of woe is my neice, Martha. She and her family are down in London visiting my Sister in laws mum for a few days. Marth has a poorly leg that she broke in December, and ended up in a plaster cast for about 6 weeks. Yep.. you guessed it.. she was monkeying around as usual, but fell awkwardly on some steps and twisted this very same leg. According to the hospital she is currently in, its not broken again (phew) but they are not sure why its so painful for her. She will be transported, along with her dad, to her local hospital in the next day or so when there is a space for her.

I had a chat to Martha on the phone yesterday.. shes reading Harry Potter for the umpteenth time, partly as its the only book she took with her. She is a little bookworm, like Douglas, so I have ordered two books from the internet for her that have had very good reviews. I hope she and Leo will enjoy them!!

The quote at the top, by the way, refers to a book called Three Men in a Boat, where one of them looks through an encyclopedia of ailments, and decides he has everything, apart from House maids knee :-)

I will end on a more cheerful note.. when we were up in Scotland, d's step mum took me to a craft group she attends, and she took all her quilling stuff with her for me to have a play with. Quilling is the art of turning thin strips of coloured paper round a small tool to make tight round circles or looser ones with the paper spiralling in towards the middle. Ive now got some of my own, and Im having fun making a card for my youngest nephew Carlo (I think he will be 5 on the 2nd June!!)





1 comment:

Pengper said...

ive just started rereading the harry potter series too! harry potter week anybody? film is coming out 15th july, not that long so...