Sunday 31 May 2009

A better weekend

Martha is out of hospital, her leg is in plaster (again) and its still very sore, but at least shes home. My dad is feeling a bit better, Douglas is slowly improving (got sound in that ear for the first time, fleetingly this afternoon) and my cold is on its way out.

Phew!!

On Saturday Douglas and I got the tram to the Childrens Hospital, and I sat with Martha for about an hour showing her how to do some Quilling, whilst Douglas went into town in search of a new wallet. Martha did quite well with her first attempt.. it wasnt until later I looked on my box (quilling kit) and it said suitable for 14 years +.. Martha is 10 :-)

I had an afternoon nap, in preparation for visiting our best man and his wife, Stu and Janet who live in Leeds. I offered to drive as I drink very little, and Douglas hasnt been too well. We had a lovely evening with them, and a really super BBQ. We were all stuffed after the meal, for which Douglas had made bombay potatoes. YUM!!

On Sunday, I got up about 7am and went into the garden. I really wanted to do some things to it before it got too hot. I find the heat quite difficult to cope with, and also I burn very easily.

I trimmed some plants back from the side of the path making access up and down the garden possible, then was doing some weeding as my parents arrived. They brought some nice large tomato plants for our tiny lean-to green house, some little purple sprouting broc plants, three butternut squash plants and some leeks. We spent about 3 hours weeding and planting, and it all looks very nice. See photos below!

This is the first poppy so far this year. I love these but would love one that is much darker red if I could get hold of one.




6 comments:

little sis said...

Glad to hear all are improving! I've not been on my lap top for a wee while, so only just caught up with your news. We too are having lovely weather. Had a lovely wedding in Strathblane (again) on Sat & a couple of barbecues over the weekend. M made some excellent Mojitos - he bought a cocktail shaker specially! Am hiding in shade just now but plan to venture out into garden soon :-)
I too love poppies & have some very pretty yellow ones in the garden just now. Lots of love to all.

Marcheline said...

Hello Anna!

I know this is totally corkers, but is it possible that your Stu and Janet lived in Scotland at one time? Back in 1998/1999 when I went to Scotland, I met a couple named Stu and Janet who lived near Glen Coe. I promised to write to them, and I never did.

I'm sure there are a million couples in the UK named Stu and Janet (or are there?) and it just struck a chord of memory when I read those names in your blog.

Could they be the same ones?

Cheers,
M

Mrshappyanna said...

Good to hear from you Little Sis.. the cocktail sounds lovely.. glad we had an influence on your drinking habits lol!

Marcheline.. Im asking them :-)


Anna xxx

Pengper said...

we've got a few poppies in our garden so you might be able to nigotiate with my mother and see if you could get one.

Mrhappy said...

Yes, Marchaline Stu is from Scotland, He and I met in Aberdeen where I was studying and after we shared a flat whilst I worked on the riggs. Also(not the least) he was my Best man. However Janet is Engilsh and they met and married here in England.

Marcheline said...

Ha! I've had a few close personal visits with a Mr. Happy, but never read a blog post from him!

*wink*

Thanks for asking, anyhoo - Mr. and Mrs. Happy!