Thursday 3 September 2009

Freegle

A few weeks ago, when Ds brother visited, he brought us down a beautiful pan set which belonged to Elaine, my late mum in law (DMIL)

As a result of this, over the last few days, I have sorted out our pans, as we will be using the new ones.. they are beautiful! (Elaine had good, and expensive taste in all things lol)

I am a member (and now a moderator) of our local Freecycle Group, so I put a message one saying

OFFERED: 5 pans with lids (home post code and area noted)

I had about 6 emails back from enthusastic people saying "oh yes please I'd love some!" I chose two people out of that 6, and they came round to pick them up a few days later.

One person was just setting up home with her new husband, the other also said he was in dire need, and was just using the microwave at present for lack of pans.

I told my mum about how pleased I was to be able to find new homes for my saucepans via Freecycle, and she mentioned that at the charity shop she helps out at, there were loads of saucepans that were in the "going for scrap" pile as no one wanted to purchase them.

Yesterday, I went round to my parents house to collect some of these saucepans and a "surprise" as well.

I was thinking what the surprise could be.. a computer? a laptop? a new kitten??? Well I was wrong on all counts :-)

My parents had spread about 10 saucepans, a colander, various decent baking trays, a lovely stainless steel ladle and a brand new potato peeler out on their kitchen table.. So much stuff that was all destined for the metal recylers. I'm pleased to be able to give this stuff new homes rather than being scrapped, albeit to be recycled.

Its not the charitys fault, I hasten to add.. people just don't go in and buy that stuff so what can they do but send the metal to scrap? ( thats before I found out about this anway lol)



Amongst the clutter, my mum saw a lovely green and white Denby plate, which matches the set Douglas and I had for our wedding ten years ago. As you would expect, the odd peice has bitten the dust since then, so my mum hunted round and found quite a nice little collection of it!

Yesterday evening, I contacted one of the people who collected a few pans from me the other day, and invited him round to come and take what he wants. When he has taken some, I will offer the remainder round to some of the others that I couldnt help before.

I love freecycle!!!!!!! Why don't you join your local group.. you might have the odd bit here and there that you don't use, and you might find something you want on there too. Just search for "Freecycle" and the name of your city or town, and I'm sure you will find a group near where you live.

Let me know how you get on :-)

Anna

No comments: