Sunday 13 September 2009

A lovely weekend at home

A busy weekend again.. I feel as though I almost havnt stopped.

Ive given away most of the jars of plum jam I made about a week ago, which makes me really happy. There is no way we could eat all i made, and its nice to be able to give home made gifts to friends and family!

My Parents and little Bro got a jar each, Alan who gives me a lift to work got a jar, another two jars went to elderly neighbours.. Margaret, who recently lost her beloved doggie, and a few days later lost her brother got a jar, also Edna, who lives a few doors up got one too. Edna gave me a big hug in return, and this afternoon, Margaret came round with some yummy scones.. can you guess what sort of jam we will have with them??

We also went swimming, and gave the house a well needed tidy and hoover. We were going to see "A Picture of Dorian Grey" but as we needed to buy some extra veg so thats on hold for now.

On Saturday morning I got some more plums and a few more jars from my parents, but I wanted to make a big batch, so I put out a request to see if anyone had too many plums on their tree. I was delighted to get several responses, one of them from a lady who lives just a few miles away that had some saucepans from me.

I went to her house Saturday afternoon. She has an 8 foot plum tree that was absolutley covered in beautiful ripe fruit!! She had moved into her house recently and had no idea what to do with them, so I took half a tescos hessian bag full away (huge amount) and emailed her a recipie, hoping that she will make jam with some of what she has left.

I spent Saturday evening chopping plums, then Sunday making the first of all Crabapple jelly, then plum jam, which is quite a lengthy process as it takes a lot of boiling to get it to setting point. I'm glad to say I have finished it now.

Anyone who reads this that comes to visit might just be rewarded with a pot of jam!!

Ive got a load more plums to sort out anyway, but they will have to wait their turn.

PS Douglas is doing well.. he swum more than he normally does when we went swimming, and is currently relaxing after a healthy portion of my blue cheese veggie crumble, and some garlic roast chicken he cooked whilst we were out.

No comments: