Tuesday 11 December 2007

Dinner party!

Its Tuesday. 4 days before we get our cats (not that we are counting, mind you ...)

Tonight my older brothers ex girlfriend Miranda came to tea. They lived together in York for many years, and we all got on very well. Im not going into the very long story about what happened and why they split.. but they did - 10 or more years ago so I really should stop calling her my brothers "ex" but never mind :-)

Miranda is a lovely person, and Douglas and I are very fond of her, so we invited her round for a meal. She was veggie for many years and I am still, so Douglas made a veggie sweet and sour stir fry with tofu in.

My parents cooker has been disconnected prior to its removal, and a new one coming in its place, so they have 2 baby belling rings and a microwave for their meals at present.. so I took pity on them and invited them too. They were delighted at being cooked for, and also having the chance to meet Miranda again after so many years (they like her too)

I snuck off work 30 mins early (yeah ok I got permission, and Im working it back tomorrow) and got home at 6pm. Douglas - bless him - had prepped all the veg, and made the sweet and sour sauce from scratch (recipie will follow.. I promise..).

By 7.15 we were all sat down and eating, and it was a really delicious meal.. even my dad, a devout carnivore, enjoyed it!!!

Mil had got two galia melons for our desert, and they were sweet and ripe and delicious (also thanks to M&S where they came from!)

They all stayed a while later, chatting and playing around with various stupid ring tones on our phones, and they left about 9.30pm.

Douglas has crawled up to bed.. as he would say hes "puggled" now.. Im still wide awake so I thought id come write this up.

Other news.. cats? did I say we get our cats on Saturday??? well.. WHOOOOHOOO! Cat day is Saturday!

Also I have made one half of the front of Ds very bright patchwork waistcoat. When I eventually find our digital camera again, will post photos.

Thats probably all till Cat Day.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

That sounds like a really great evening! tdmil

jaklumen said...

not that we are counting, mind you ...

Lies ;) You count, then say you are not? Poppycock ;)

tsk, Anna, I had to look up all your unfamiliar cultural references...

took me forever to find a picture of a Baby Belling-- the one pictured was a 1951-1959 3rd gen model

as for "puggled":

from the Scottish Vernacular Dictionary-

#1
In the old sense meaning tired,out of breath.

Example usage: "Ah'm ferr puggled efter climbin' yon stairs."

#2
Drunk, pissed.

I'm assuming he meant meaning #1.

Mrshappyanna said...

A Jak.. on the ball as ever :-)

Yes Puggled on this occasion means tired/knackered, and I was just slightly teasing when I said we were not counting lol

A xx

Compost John said...

Hi Anna, I was glad to read about a good evening with Mil and the folks... it's very positive that you and Mil still get on so well.
Keep on Blogging!
J