Sunday 25 May 2008

Douglas and my social week

Douglas was planned in for an endoscopy on Wednesday, but even with the sedation he still could not tolerate the tube, so they abandoned it. Poor Douglas felt quite rotten all that day and the next, but more human by Friday and managed to go back to work. Im glad to report hes back to his normal cheeful bushy bearded self now!

On Thursday I went to see some friends for an evening meal. We decided not to cook as KT did not finish work till 7, but I took all the ingredients for a Banoffee Pie with me for pudding.

Banoffee Pie

1 tin of sweetened condensed milk
1 hand of bananas
1 smallish pastry case
1 medium sized pot whipping cream
Some chocolate to grate on the top

Method

Start making this the day before you want to eat it.

Put the unopened tin of condensed milk into a pan of water. The pan must be big enough to cover the tin and a bit more. Bring to the boil and keep it simmering for about 3 hours. Its very important to keep an eye on the pan, and keep the water level topped up. If you don't do this, the tin could explode, so BE CAREFUL!

When the tin has had its 3 hours or so, leave it to cool. When the tin is cold to touch, slice enough bananas to cover and heap up nicely in your pastry base. Open the tin (contents will be semi solid) and spread (Well, I take small spoonfuls out and plop it on) over the waiting bananas.

Once the bananas have settled down happily under their duvet of sheer indulgence, make them even happier (hear your arteries scream) and cover the dish in cream, whipped to a soft peak.

Put the pie in the fridge, and grate a bit of chocolate on before you serve.

Warning : This is very filling.. cut a small slice to start with .. you can always come back for more!


******

We had a nice meal out, pie was enjoyed, and I got back about 11pm. zzzzz

******

Friday I went for on a Ghost Walk with my work colleages in town. It was interesting, but the guy really needs to sharpen up his stories and put more drama into them! I will feed this back to him via his website. (he asked us for any comments, so I will send them)

*****

Saturday, I abandoned my long suffering husband once more, and went down to Leicester. I met up with my friend Heather. I met on the game we both play (Runescape), and we decided to meet in real life. This is the third time we have met, and we get on very well!

We went shopping for a few things, then decided to go explore Hinckley, which turns out to be a rather nice little market town. I got some honey glazed cashew nuts, some sun dried tomatoes and some tie die hippy fabric for a top I plan to make.

I got back to find my dearest most wonderful husband had done all the clothes washing, tidyed the house and done the dishes!! I took him out for a scrummy Chinese meal as a thank you. Im a lucky girl to have such a lovely husband. Thanks should also go to his mum for training him! lol.

No visitors planned for today, Sunday, but there is a "green" fair going on very close, so shall go investigate that.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh poor, poor old D. Is there any way forward for him? General anaesthetic???

Lots ov love to you both and a particularly big hug to D.

Mrshappyanna said...

I will go with him if a next time is needed.. try to make sure they wait for the Medazalam to kick in before they start on him!

His very nice Dr says they may do a barium swallow on him instead - not nice but more tolerable.

Will send you love and hugs to him, when he gets in from Waitrose !

Anonymous said...

I would love banofee pie if only it didn't have bananas in.......

Mrshappyanna said...

Ha Ha! So would Douglas! - well he would be able to eat it if it didnt have bananas in anyway...

Anonymous said...

Hi Anna - PC broke a month ago, migrated most stuff onto Church laptop while I waited for a new PC (this week, next week, sometime...), lost my link to your blog. Finally, much googling later, I found it (clue: the happy couple doesn't get me here).
Lovely to keep up with you; wish I could be organised enough to blog.
Bannoffi pie: the cream should have a tea-spoon (or maybe two) of finely ground instant coffee whipped into it. A little sharpness to balance the sweetness. And the bananas should be between the toffee and the cream.

Love, TDBIL