Saturday 20 September 2008

The Best laid plans...

of Anna and Douglases sometimes gang a-gley....

I planned a nice quiet weekend for me, with a bit of housework and lots of sleep as sleep is a great cure all for Annas.

Douglas varmooshed off up to his stone raising location a couple of hours North of here in the car on Friday night, planning to stay till Sunday. A group of people have been building a stone circle .. pulling the stones up the steep little hill and setting them in their rightful places with help of a wooden "A" frame.

I was rudely woken very early on Saturday morning - I was lying on my side, and Billy decided to sit just above my hip, whilst Lilly batted me from her usual place on the floor. Eventually I gave in to these two bullies, went and fed them, played on line for a bit, then all three of us snuck back upstairs for some more sleep :-)

I woke up to texts from Douglas saying his gout had flared up badly, and his very strong pain killers had not even touched the sides. An hour or so later, the pain was still as bad, so i offered to hop on a train, and get a taxi to the location. Douglas was in no fit state to drive home.. so it was Anna to the rescue!!

I called and ordered a taxi, then looked for my little black shoulder bag that had my purse in.. it was nowhere.. nowhere to be seen at all, and I realised that it was looped over the gear stick in our car (you may realise at this point, car was with Douglas)

My heart sank.. I cancelled the taxi.. and wondered what on earth to do next - I did so want to rescue my poor Douglas, but its rather hard when you have no money to pay for transport.

Ohh if only I could gather up some runes and teleport to places as I do so frequently in Runescape.. or mabye step into a fairy ring.. put the right code in and magically appear at my chosen destination...

I digress... I called and spoke to my Sister in Law, Katy and told her of my plight.. she was super, and called my brother to ask him to divert on his way home to rescue me! My darling baby brother.. he took me - via a cash point to give me £50 - to the station, where I purchased my ticket, a newspaper and a bottle of water, and hopped on a train North.

The journey was pleasant..I saw lots of combine harvesters hard at work making best use of the good weather, but I also saw some very soggy fields with what looked like rotten stems sticking out of the mud :-(

The taxi driver, bless him, knew from my scant directions, where to take me, and soon I was on Camp going into the converted Cow shed to find my dearest Douglas :-) he was in bed, in one of the funny little cubicles -each just big enough for a double mattress, screened off from the next by thin cotton walls... like four poster beds with curtains drawn.

I packed the car, then helped a very sore footed Douglas limp out to the car, and took him home.

Having installed Douglas on the sofa, and unpacked the car, I got our meal ready, and collapsed next to him for some R&R.

Douglas somehow managed to drag himself up to our spare bed which is right next to our bathroom. There is no way he can manage the other stairs up into our attic bedroom, so we are both sleeping down one level tonight :-)

Poor Douglas.. but Im so glad I was feeling well enough to rescue him!!! Im glad hes home.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh Poor Douglas - I am so sorry to hear that. Well done the rest of you for making a rescue possible.

Hope he is feeling better now.

{{{hugs}}}