Monday 22 September 2008

James and the giant...

I was looking out of my office window onto the garden - there was a strange golden glow to the evening, and our lovely little apple tree - a James Greave - was proudly waving its branches. One of them is weighed down quite heavily with one beautiful perfect looking apple.. a gentle combination of red going into orange and gold.. It put me in mind of the wonderful story by Roald Dahl, James and the Giant Peach. (Look it up on Wikipedia if you do not know the story)

I wonder what amazing things are going on inside our one red golden apple?

Today, being the Autumn Equinox seems a good time to find out, but I will leave the tree to enjoy its apple for one more day before I part the two of them.

In the new year, we will wassail our tree, thank it for the three beautiful apples it gave us this year, and ask for a few beautiful ones for years to come.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a lovely post. Just hope the birds don't beat you to it!

Compost John said...

Think it's James Grieve with an I...