Sunday 7 September 2008

How to live with a calculating cat...

If you look at the time on the last post, you will notice it was written at about 7am on a Sunday morning, when all sensible mortals should be tucked up in their beds enjoying the "I don't have to go to work today" feeling.

We have cats.

This morning it was Lillys turn to wake me, by miaowing insistently by my side of the bed. Long ago the little terrors worked out that trying to get Douglases attention in the mornings is a waste of time. He sleeps more heavily than I do, and wears ear plugs.

Lilly does not mince her words when shes hungry, and told me - in no certain terms that I should jolly well get up and feed her. Like a good human I obeyed, and bleary eyed made my way downstairs. Lilly keeps her eye on me until she is absolutely sure that I am getting up, then races downstairs in anticipation. If I dare pop to the loo first, she comes back up and tells me off!

Now and then Billy takes his turn in the game called "Waking the human". He has a more direct approach, and quite often starts the process a darn site earlier than he should do (IE 4.30am). He hops up onto the bed and walks the length of me , purring loudly. If that does not work, he then has a fight with the duvet and rushes around a lot on top of both of us :-) If this happens at 4.30 am, he get shoved firmly off the bed, but if its nearer 6 on a week day, the game is usually successful!

Another little ploy...

Now and then, at the weekend, Douglas will get up early and feed the cats. Last time he did this, I was still fast asleep. I woke an hour or so later, and went downstairs. Billy and Lilly were there, and circled round my feet, yelling and pointing to their furry gobs, telling me that it had been several years since they had even seen the ghost of a cat biscuit, and could I please please feed them?

Yes.. you guessed it.. Anna was conned into giving the furry ones a 2nd breakfast :-)

Its just like having two kids.. they wake you up in the middle of the night.. they eat you out of house and home and never say thank you .. but.. we still love them!!!

No comments: