Saturday 27 October 2007

Crab Apple Jelly???


My Saturday started with me playing Runescape, chatting to my friends including the lovely Funnyhare and the lovely Mommapeel (these are the names of our characters in the game, that we quite often use to refer to each other)

I was playing a game within the game and suddenly relaised it was 2 am! yikes! Bed followed shortly afterwards.

I slept through till about 9, and very slowly Douglas and I woke, had breakfast and went shopping, then on to visit my younger brother Thos, his wife Katie and their lovely kids - M&L (twins, one of each, aged 8) and C (aged 4 I think. Boy) L (the boy) demanded to have a go on "Mrshappyanna" as he calls runescape - so we had a quiet hour whilst the roast potatoes were cooking. M came and joined us. Yes.. I know.. Im corrupting them at an early age, but I will only let them play when Im there, and how to get onto "the game" remains a mystery to them! (Probably a good thing as L seems to adore it!)

C was a tired little poogle, and was falling asleep at the dinner table, so I picked him up and carried him up to bed - I asked him "would you like me to read a book to you?" and got a shake of a head, so.. I turned the tables "how about you read a book to me?" that got a smile and an affermative nod lol. He was quite happy to lie in bed whilst I read "Big Pigs Birthday" to him, and he pointed out cake, and a monkey and other things in the illustration. I closed the curtains, gave him a kiss, and closed his door.. and I think he must have fallen asleep about 2 seconds later as not a sound was heard (ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh)

Thos organised a crab apple picking session, then loaded us, loads of jam jars and a huge cauldron of the fruit into our car - guess what we offered to make!!!

Crab Apple Jelly

Makes: 6 x 500ml jars

Ingredients

4 kg crab apples
1 kg caster sugar
1 lemon, juiced

Method

  1. Wash the apples, remove the blossom heads and cut out any bruised bits. Put in a saucepan, fill with water to cover the apples and bring to the boil. Simmer for 25 minutes until the fruit is soft. Pour the pulp into a jelly bag or several layers of muslin and let drip overnight into a pan beneath. Don’t squeeze the bag, it will cloud the jelly.
  2. The next day, measure the juice, and combine with sugar at the ratio of 10 parts juice to 7 sugar. Add the lemon, then bring to the boil to dissolve the sugar. Keep at a rolling boil for 35–40 minutes, skimming off the froth regularly. To test, chill a dessertspoon in the fridge. When the jelly is set, it will solidify on the back of the spoon. Pour into warm, sterilised preserving jars and tightly seal while still slightly warm. Store in a cool dark place.
We have got to the end of stage 2.. more tomorrow :)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

sounds yummy. lol tdmil

Anonymous said...

Hi!

Most impressed by your blogging, though am hoping not too many more family members take up the habit as I have just spent most of the morning reading yours and Mum's!!
Still to make bolognaise, do massive mound of ironing, hang up second load of washing, carve out 2 pumkins, make some brownies for the trick or treaters, help youngest to dress up for Youth Club halloween night (still not decided what he wants to be - last thought was to be "ironic" and dress up as an egg?? - (don't ask!). Yikes better get started then............
Lots of love from little sis xxx

Mrshappyanna said...

A little confused about anon whose younger son has to dress up as an egg - I think when she says "little sis" she means "little sis in law" as I havnt seen Douglas make any attempts to write yet lol.. mabye I should tell him its a task for Thursday??

Lets see what happens!