Thursday 24 January 2008

My job

I work for the Environment Agency in one of their National Customer Contact Centres.

I thought I would share with you some of the questions I get and have to deal with. Its a very interesting, and wide ranging job, and I enjoy it!

I have had calls from people expecting us to do all sorts of things, from pick up their rubbish,
mend their telephone, and remove the rats from their gardens! (we dont deal with any of those, but I try to re-direct the callers if I can)

These are some of the things that I have dealt with today. (sorry its rather long but I hope you find it of some interest)



* Customer wanting to know the ins and outs of how and when to use waste transfer notes (would take too long to explain this :-) )

* Customer needing help getting a grid reference for her house, prior to applying for a Discharge Consent Licence. (she was having a new "septic tank" installed)

* Enquiry about law surrounding carrying waste

* Person got stopped for carrying waste without a licence – (directed to web site and explained why licences are necessary)

* Lady wanted to change her DD details for her husbands Rod Licence

* Person wanted to apply for a licence to export Weee (waste electrical electronic equipment)

* Man wanted to register his premises as a producer of hazardous waste (our system playing up, he said he would call later)

* Person needing to get through to the Wallaby office to find out if the Hull Barrier would be lowered at the next high tide.

* Customer wanting waste carrier info (directed to web site)

* Customer wanted to buy one day rod licence (directed to website)

* Customer wanted to register as Hazardous waste producer (directed to website as its cheaper)

* Person from city council putting together a flood recovery pack – wanted info and leaflets. I Emailed a request for bulk leaflets, advised of ABI and BIBA websites, gave my number so she can call me again!

* Info wanted about the River Alt in Liverpool (history) although we deal with management we don’t deal with history. Suggested internet and local library!

* Is my house in a flood zone? Advised go to web site, put in post code and use alongside a street map to find out.

* Bloke wanting to lay a pipe to transport hot water from an incineration plant to somewhere else. (put him through to integrated regulations, pollution prevention control team for his area)

* Someone to renew some exemptions (people can apply to carry out certain waste related activities that do not involve a very expensive waste management licence)

* Man who has been told he had to talk to us before putting in his planning application to replace his conservatory and extend to make a small disabled toilet. Got him through to someone in his local area who can help.

* Taught a colleague in a different department how to use our interactive map system (she was very grateful!)

No comments: