Saturday 18 October 2008

Sunny Saturday

At last! A Saturday when its not raining!

I went shopping first thing, then made some mini cottage pies for our friend Dangerous, who had had his gall bladder out and is still not very well. His partner has been down South, and is coming home tomorrow, so we will pick her up from near Meadowhell and then drive her back home as Dangerous cant. She is pregnant, and bump does not like travelling one little bit. Poor Liz, and poor bump.

Having made what I hope will be tasty cottage pies (real cottages) I headed out into the garden to attack the weeds.

Meanwhile, still in bed due to a bad night and the pain back again, poor Douglas tried to sleep and tried his best to feel better. Sadly neither really worked very well :-(

I ended the life of some of the weeds in our veg patch, came in for a rest and some lunch, and found a text from my parents saying they were on their way over to help ( yay ! ) After feeding and watering said parents, the garden was attacked three fold, and by about 4pm, all of us were rather tired, but the garden looked much better!

In the garden I have some leeks growing.. until a few days ago I thought they were onions, but on pulling one up I discovered that what my mum suspected was the truth.. they were NOT onions!!

I also have some purple sprouting broccoli. I'm waiting for it to do the sprouting (flowers) bit then we can chop some off and enjoy it. I hope it manages to do this before the winter comes, otherwise the plants will just have to be added to the compost heaps. :-(

On the subject of compost heaps, my parents suggested I move one of the black compost bins (think bottom of darlek) that had been sitting a while. As I moved the bin, a huuuuuuuuge rat shot out and ran away!! It was quite a surprise as you can imagine!

I have no problem with the rat existing and will not be calling out the exterminators - the rat dosnt bother me, so why should I bother the rat? There are plenty more out there, and as long as they don't decide to hold a rave in my veg patch I really don't care :-)

Douglas took a stronger pain killer about 4pm, and is now downstairs having consumed a bowl of rather fine chicken soup I made the other day. He has a Drs appointment on Wendesday at the hospital - I do hope they will find out whats going wrong with his blood "marmelade" and sort it out so he can get back to his normal cheerful self.

I will, of course, keep you updated.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good for you and for your parents. Great to get the weeds clear.

A rat??????

I would have screamed and rushed for the nearest flight out off the country.

Poor old D. Glad to hear he has a hospital appointment.

Atb and {{{hugs}}}