Wednesday 5 November 2008

First episode - Simons Travels

Dear Readers, Ds brother Simon (as you will know if you are a regular reader) is on his way to Ethiopia to live and write his Philosophy PHd for two years.

His first stop is Egypt, and this is part of his first email to friends and family to keep us up to date on what hes doing.

Its so interesting I thought I would pop it on here!

*************************************

Pretty good flight over with lovely views, especially over Turkey and Egypt (though I didn't see the Pyramids, was on wrong side of plane). Unfortunately Sharm el-Sheik is a bit of a hole, as a massive tourist destination where everything is priced way over the top. The taxi drivers drive like maniacs and try to stiuff you a l l t h e t i m e, which is annoying, but I got out pretty quickly after a nice swim this morning in the lovely, warm, deep blue ocean.
The ride up here to Dahab was incredible, through a desert of coral coloured sands, with great mountains bubbling out of the plain, all tumescent and pink, shocking against the deep blue sky. Here and there Bedouin led camels for there own sake rather than for tourists. Dahab is a million miles better than Sharm, far more relaxed and down to earth. My hotel is a sixth of the price, and my meal was a tenth of what it was last night and just as nice.
Have hooked up with an alright English guy, though not exactly of my own choice. He's all nice, and fine, and stuff, and it is good to have someone to talk to, but he is a little bit clingy. That should improve over the coming days, or I'll just sneak off...
Better get off now, have to sort some things out. Might be doing a PADI tomorrow or the next day. I'll give more news later.

*************************************

What a wonderful adventure! I look forward to more news soon.

Meanwhile, D made me a fabulous tea tonight - I asked him to marry me (again) , but he said he was already married and turned me down!! lol He made me veggie fahitas, and made beef ones for himself. He enjoyed his, and mine were totally scrummie!!!!!!!!

Over here in England its fireworks night, so we kept the cats in. Billy - as usual - is chilling on a cushion on the arm chair, looking at a firework occasionally but mainly sleeping. Sleeping is Billys main occupation :-) Lilly is not so happy. She is hiding under our rocking chair looking scared, and won't even let me stroke her. Poor girl.. she will calm down when the nasty bangs and flashes stop in a few days time.


No comments: