Monday 20 July 2009

Sunday and Harry Potter

With my voice slowly returning, Douglas and I decided to take Martha and Leo (my brothers twins, aged 9) to see the latest Harry Potter film!

We collected the energetic pair from their home, and went to the cinema. We got there a bit early, so we camped out in the bar for about an hour.

Martha and Leo read their books, but we also spend some of the time looking at a magazine showing films due to come out in the next few months. As part of this discussion I got both kids to look at the various adverts - for movies and related products, and tell me who the adverts were aimed at.

I think Martha grasped this better than Leo, but all of us spent some time looking at the adverts and working out who the films would appeal to, which was fun, and a little educational for them!

The film was good, but not great, but the kids enjoyed it very much, and were buzzing about it afterwards.

We decided to eat out after the film, and Martha chose Bella Italia - both kids love Italian food, and had half a peperoni pizza each. I had a pizza with peppers and goats cheese on.. it was edible but not really very nice (and incredibly tough to cut!)

It wasnt the best place for poor Douglas to eat.. the special of the day was a seafood risotto, so he ordered that, but we didnt realise it was in a spicy tomato sauce which is a total "no no" for him. When it arrived Douglas said "I cant eat this" to the waitress, who was rather defensive and said that when she was telling me the specials, she did say "spicy tomato sauce". Whether she did or not I dont know.. my slight deafness might mean I just didnt catch that bit (he had gone to the loo when the waitress arrived earlier).

D ordered again, and got his new spag carbonarra fast but sadly it was barely edible.. the sauce was very thin and the meat - supposed to be smoked pancetta - was more like cheap processed and not smoked ham!

When we got the bill, they had charged us for both the risotto AND the carbonarra!!! As you can imagine, we didnt leave a tip, and we will NEVER go to any Bella Pasta restaurant again.

3 comments:

Marcheline said...

I don't know if you're a dyed-in-the-wool Harry Potter fan or not, but I'd be interested to know why you thought the new movie was "good, but not great".

My dislikes were mostly based on segments where they changed the plot from the book, but I had no gripes whatsoever with the movie-making itself. I thought it was brilliant! And the humorous bits were really good, I thought, as well.

What were your peeves?

Mrshappyanna said...

Hi there, Im a keen HP fan but have not read the books for a while, so I'm not sure where the film diverts from the book.

Yes the movie making was great, but parts of it had long overly dramatic pauses.

The one scene that sticks in the memory I didnt like was when Ron was unconsious in the hospital wing, and the two girls fell out over who was his girlfriend etc etc. The adult characters were just standing there looking very uncomfortable.

I felt the scene was unrealistic and very false!

PengPer said...

it was also a bit too short for my liking, but otherwise, I enjoyed it.

Hello, by the way.