Sunday 24 February 2008

Busy Saturday (Part 3, final chunk)

At last, all our visitors had gone and our poor scared cats could come back out of the woodwork, and Douglas and I could relax.

D went up to kill things on the computer (he plays an online game called World of Warcraft)

I went into the garden to riddle some compost. When we moved in, we created a heap in a corner of our veg patch, and now, about a year or so later, it was time to see how it had done.



The other day I purchased a black plastic dustbin (like those before wheelie bins came in) and having made some lovely two-penny sized holes in the bottom, took it out into the garden to become our holder of riddled compost.


I think I spent two hours out there, and by the time i had finished, I had nearly a bin full of really beautiful compost!! There were, of course sticks and bits of egg shell that need more time, and some stones etc to be pulled out, but the strangest thing were some objects I can only describe as "Tea bag ghosts" All the used leaves of tea had gone, just leaving a whispy bag left amongst the soil



I phoned my older brother John (aka Compost John) to ask about these "shell of teabag" things as I have never come across this sort of thing before. He told me they are made of plastic, and the only thing to do is to put them in the bin for landful/burning.

Im going to find out which tea bag companies make paper tea bags, and we will try and use them in future. I don't like Tea Bag Ghosts in my compost!!!!!

I extracted Douglas from the house, and he planted his chilli seeds in tiny little pots to keep warm in the house. Hes very excited, having got about 4 varieties to try!

After a busy day, we had a quiet evening and not too much of a late night.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

My in-laws have a rotating bin (think of your bin spinning on an axis like a globe map)-- so how do you turn all the stuff in yours?

p.s. using OpenID to identify today, just so you can see my identity remains much the same elsewhere

Anonymous said...

Wow - that's what I would call a VERY BUSY Saturday!! Will try D's recipe for Mackerel Pate especially because it looks easier than mine and I LOVE it!
This is my recipe -
• 2 Medium Smoked Mackerel
• 4oz Cottage Cheese (110g)
• 5floz Greek Yoghurt (150ml)
• Juice of ½ Lemon
• Salt, Pepper & Grated Nutmeg

First skin the mackerel and flake the fish into the goblet of a liquidiser or bowl. Then add the cottage cheese, Greek Yogurt and lemon juice. Blend until smooth. Season to taste and add freshly grated nutmeg.
x

Mrshappyanna said...

thanks for your comments.. D prefers tea bag tea i think :-)

Jak.. i didnt turn this lot at all.. just left it for nature to take its course :-) Id love a rotating bin.. mabye for my 50th?

Anonymous said...

I've been composting my tea bags and they seem to disappear OK, but I do tell the partner not to put the fruit tea ones that have string and tags attached by a metal ring into the compost as they don't work!!! I can't be bothered turning our three compost bin contents.....

I'm back blog-reading for the first time for ages, and am gradually catching up. Sorry D's been back in hospital. I've printed your "Us being happy" picture on photo paper. It's great and I will do one for TDMIL's "rogues gallery" too.
Love Anti. xxx

Compost John said...

Hi Anna, good to read all about it!
It looks like good compost, well done... and keep on composting the tea bags and just riddle out and throw the 'ghosts', of course, if you can find a brand with paper baga, there would be no need to do this as it would all rot down.

As for fruit tea bags (Anti Anonymous'comment) they rot down too, and if the string is biodegradable, that goes too. There's no need to worry about the metal staple fixing the bag and string, it just rusts away and becomes part of the soil, not a problem at all. If these fruit tea bags are put in landfill, they decay into methane, a powerful cliate change gas, and if incinerated, they give off their Carbon into the air where there's too much of it anyway.
Compost the lot!
(Hey, if Anna can make such good compost with virtually no effort, we can do the same!!)
love, John

Anonymous said...

Thank you for that advice about the teabags, Compost John.
Today I was spreading rotted horse manure around the dormant asparagus. Good to have a friend with a large muck heap, but smelly transporting it while still fresh in bin bags in the back of a car! It'll be worth the months of storage now though. Another compost bin started last year has rotted down well - mainly kitchen waste but garden stuff too.
Is that all too much information?
Anti. x