Thursday 13 March 2008

The lurgey continues

Well.. I spent last weekend in bed feeling rotten.. and now I feel fine.

Im left with a nasty cough (thanks surley GP for giving me some antibiotics and a sick note till Tuesday). I asked (whispered) to the GP asking him if there was anything I could do to prevent my voice going when I get a cough.. he said no, but as its gone, rest it by not even whispering for a few days to help it get better.

So..... Im doing my best to be silent..Im gesturing and writing things down when Douglas is home, and just not talking to the cats.

This morning someone is coming round to pick up my mums old printer, then on Friday someone else is coming for the computer, monitor etc.

Both of these people, and many more saw the message that the old pc free to anyone who wanted it on Freecycle. Its great to be able to get rid of things you don't want without increasing the amount of landfill.

The idea, for those who don't know, is to post a comment saying "Offered, old computer (or whatever) please collect from (then the general area where you live)"

I got about 10 replies within an hour or so! Personally, I choose the person who is polite, and tells me why they would like what I have, not just the first to say "can I have it please" Douglas and I have shifted tables and all sorts via Freecycle to grateful recipients.

So.. I have a mum coming from the printer, so her son can print his schoolwork.. and a cheerful sounding student who wants to write his essays up.

I put some books on Freecycle once, and a lady from just down the road emailed to say could she come look. She emailed to say she hoped my voice got better soon..... we chatted, and the result is that this afternoon I'm going to pop round to see her! She sells old glass, and we are going to have a look at some shes had in storage for a while and sort out what would go nicely in her cabinet in an antiques stall.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Partner and I both have the lurgi too. Sore throats, but at lease still a voice.
I've parted with things on Freecycle too - an old computer (which was good but out of date for our use), bags of gravel & sand left over from builders, huge planters (to help a village be pretty last summer) and so on. It's not always successful - I get fed up when the "buyer" doesn't turn up, but generally it is a wonderful scheme.
Anti. x