Monday 24 March 2008

Phase 4... and the Real Birthday!

Well it was my actual birthday today!!

I got up and fed the cats, had some toast and went back to bed for a bit. Later, when Douglas woke, we went downstairs and he ordered me to sit on the settee, close my eyes, and hold my hands out.

I held my hands out fairly close to each other but Douglas kept telling me to put them wider apart!! He has been teasing me for several days that he had got me a Poodle, and that it was being kept in the spare room wardrobe for my birthday.

Douglas put a huuuuge box into my arms, and I opened my eyes to see the most fantastic professional looking Kenwood Chef!!!!!!!!! (see below)


This turns out to be a joint present between Douglas, Dreaded Mum in law, Dreaded Aunt in law, and Dreaded (not to leave her out) sister in law!!!

The mixer has two beaters, a balloon whisk (for cream etc) and a glass liquidizer that fits on the top once you have taken the cap off (see top right of machine)

My mum has had a Kenwood like this all my life, and for years and years Ive wanted one too.. and now, Im such a lucky girl to have got one!!! I will take this opportunity to send huuuuge love and thanks to DMIL, DAIL and DSIL and Dreaded Husband ;-) for chipping in and getting me such a fantastic machine!! THANK YOUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!!!!!

I will now freecycle a grotty plastic mixer, and a grotty liquidiser thing.. both rather beaten up, parts missing and not a patch on what I have now :-)

***

After another snooze for both of us (because we could) we got up and had lunch in town.

My work colleagues gave me £20 in book tokens and a 20% off all books voucher, so I went into WH Smith and blew the lot!! I managed to get 7 paperbacks and only went a little over budget ;-) The receipt said I saved £17 by choosing buy one get one frees.. and buy one get one half price books (they were the ones I wanted anyway) They will keep me quiet for a few evenings!!

Douglas had a £25 M&S voucher from work, so we blew that on food.. then dragged it and the books back to the car!

For a final celebration, we went out to the movies to see a film we have had our eye on for a while.. the Spiderwick Chronicles. It was OK.. and probably great for kids of about 10, but I found it a bit disappointing (too corny and full of American schmaltz) but it was nice to go out.

Back home for a left overs tea, and a quiet evening before work tomorrow :-)

A wonderful birthday weekend!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday and lots and lots and lots more of them.

From Anti & partner & dogs xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Pengper said...

Happy Birthday!!!!!!!!!! You're almost as old as my parents! Well, you're not THAT old...

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you had a fabulous birthday spread over several days - lucky girl. Enjoy all your prezzies.

jaklumen said...

full of American schmaltz

Oy vey, Anna, we're not all Yiddish or even hereditary Jewish here.

*puts on a 'corny' Yiddish accent* Vat's wrong wish schmaltz? It means "chicken fat". A good part uf chicken soup! There's a reason it's called "Jewish pencillin"! You're talkin' like a meshuginah!