Saturday 20 June 2009

Comedy night

Last night, having helped Douglas escape from hospital with a fresh set of magic beans (aka tablets) we had some tea, and went down into town for a comedy night.

June 19th 2009 marked our 10th Wedding Anniversary, so I was delighted that Douglas had escaped, and felt well enough to come out with me.

A group of about 25 went from work.. we got there early and bagged the end of a table with a little bit of leg room - Not too far away from the stage, but not slap up close to it either!

The compere (sp?) came on, and although he was pretty good, every second word was an expletive. The second act - a woman - was better, funny in places, but even so still way too swear words for my enjoyment.

In general, the comedy was crude, vulgar and relying on taking the piss out of disabled, gay and any other minority group in society.

I know I'm rather old fashioned in my views but swearing all evening isn't funny! Why oh why when there are well over a quarter of a million words in the English Language do people have to use swear words so much.. its NOT FUNNY!!

Most people (Including my colleagues) there were so drunk they would laugh at a telegraph pole if it were on stage. One guy, already pretty intoxicated, purchased himself the hugest jug of beer I have seen for ages, and proceeded to down the lot with no help from anywhere else. Surely he and many other of my colleagues will end up with liver damage if they drink so heavily every time they go out??? Either that or they will experience a a dent in their bank accounts!

I do have a good sense of humour, but sadly yesterday evening hardly raised a smile.

We got home and fell into bed. I think i was asleep even before my head hit the pillow - its so nice to have my Douglas back beside me.. that was a far better treat than the rest of the evening.


Ok .. rant over.... next post will be happier :-)

3 comments:

TDAIL said...

We watched a couple of Michael McIntyre's shows on TV recently, and were delighted to find a show that had no swearing and was mainly very clean - and it was FUNNY! So it can be done.

Marcheline said...

I've discovered that, while I love to laugh, I don't find most "comedy" funny at all. Especially American comedy movies. They SUCK. I much prefer British humor, which requires a modicum of intelligence to get. I like to think a little to get to the funny part. The whole "shovel funny in your face" style of American humor just doesn't get it for me.

I've found that swearing can be funny in comedy sometimes, if used like pepper - sparingly, and in exactly the right spots.

Great post!

Mrshappyanna said...

Marcheline.. again I think that you and I are so similar!! I HATE forced humour (99% American comedy films) even much British humour leaves me dead, but having said that I do enjoy an intelligent joke or play on words now and then.. just as you do :-)