Saturday 20 June 2009

Sheffield Pride

We had a message round at work a few weeks ago, looking for a few people who would be willing to volunteer their time to help at this years Sheffield Pride event.

For those of you who dont know what a Pride event is.. its a celebration for Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual and Transgender people (LGBT)

The Environment Agency is very supportive of diversity amongst its work force, and quite often have a stall at Pride events all over the UK, so I decided to volunteer. The day involved giving out leaflets, explaining what the Environment Agency does, doing a very short survey about peoples local rivers and giving out some lovely hessian tote bags (oh and some pencils and rulers) in return for answering the quesitonairre!

I went to work to meet Rob, the organiser. We put all the leaflets and banners in the back of my car, and drove to the local park and started setting up. We were soon joined by one of my colleages - Andy - and his husband/civil partner Chris. Quite a few other people breezed in, and soon there were about 6 of us, all "bigging up" and explaining what the EA does.



The day went very quickly, but by about 4 I was pretty tired having been on my feet all day, so I packed up, took some of the empty cardboard boxes and some other stuff away and came home. A couple of the managers from the office turned up to give their support, and one of them very kindly helped me carry the large cardboard boxes to my car.

I thoroughly enjoyed helping with this event, spreading the message of what the EA does, and supporting the diversity of our local city! If our office has a stall at the event next year, I think I shall volunteer again :-)

1 comment:

Compost John said...

I love 'Pride' events... I've done a York Rotters stall at one, it was really interesting and fun.
Glad you did this, good lil sis!