Tuesday 23 June 2009

An hour of melting

A few months ago, I was contacted by Marie Curie Cancer Care, a charity provides nursing care to people suffering with cancer, so they can be looked after in their own homes. They wanted me to deliver some little charity envelopes door to door for people to stuff money in, and then collect them a few days later.

I posted these out a few days ago, and this evening went about half way down my road and knocked on all the doors from there back again. It was very hot work, and nearly all the houses had a set of steps up to them, so by the time I had done, I was melted!!

I know, and am known by a few people down the street, so had a friendly chat with one or two. One lady about 4 doors away knew me as a friend of Margaret, our elderly next door neighbour.

The lady ushered me in to her home whilst she found the Marie Curie envelope, and ended up giving me not only some money in the envelope, but also some of her small (but perfectly formed) home grown new potatoes, and a very strange elongated red onion also from her garden!! I cant give those to Marie Curie, but I will enjoy them in the next few days.

For my efforts, I have raised (so far) £15.50. I have put a note through a few doors asking them to deliver their envelopes through my door, but I doubt I will get much more cash. I guess £15.50 is better than if I hadnt done it!

********

Douglas update.. still not well, still barely managing to keep anything down.. going to his outpatients clinic tomorrow.. I do so hope they can find some reason for my beloved to feel so rubbish.. then sort him out!!! I want my Mr Happy back!!!

Watch this space.

*******
For those of you wondering about my wanderlust filled brother in law, Simon, he has now reached Addis Abbabba, where he is house sitting for some wealthy ex pat who has servants and a cook etc. I hope he will write another one of his amazing emails again soon.

No comments: