Wednesday 10 June 2009

An unwanted and unexpected sales call

A while ago I was approached and offered a free raffle ticket with the chance of winning a brand new shiny car, so, like a fool I accepted, on the promise that my details would not be used for any commercial purpose.

Last week Douglas got a call from someone in relation to this, saying we had "gone through to the next stage" and as a result we had won a free carpet clean of one room in the house. Great! we thought. The hall stairs and landing carpet could do with a nice deep clean!

The carpet clean was booked in for yesterday at about 6pm. We expected someone to come in, clean our carpet, probably leave their details and how much it would cost for other carpets to be cleaned, then leave.

Oh.. how wrong we were.....


Three smartly dressed very polite blokes turned up and introduced themselves, bringing with them two large boxes which contained the vacuum cleaner.

Two of them stayed, the Boss going who knows where (maybe to supervise other teams?) The two blokes proceeded to unpack and set up the many many many attachments of their shiny Kirby Cleaner, and talk us through the uses of all of them.. long bits.. small pokey bits.. brushy bits.. you name it, this machine had them!





One hour passed.. demonstration continued…

One and a half hours passed.. we were getting distinctly conscious of how much of our evening this was eating up, so we were delighted when the carpet cleaning bit arrived… however..

The bloke cleaning the carpet didn’t have a proper dust collection bag, only a demonstration attachment that fed the dust/dirt through to a white paper filter to show (and shock) the customer at what had been collected. These filters only collected a small amount of dust/dirt before having to be replaced.

Mr Kirby Hoover/Carpet Cleaner came in to the lounge every 45 seconds or so with yet another bloomin white paper disc. Throughout the presentation these were laid out all over our lovely new cream lounge carpet L By the time we were thoroughly fed up of the whole process, the discs looked like some new Tracey Emin exhibition “Dust from those carpets I have ever slept with” lol.



One and three quarter hours passed.. and we politely told the guys to wrap it up, only do the bottom of the hall carpet and leave us in peace without doing the shampoo etc.

They didn’t take long after that to click onto the fact that no, we were not going to buy their incredibly expensive equipment, packed up with an unpleasant “well if you are happy living with all that dirt” comment and.. thank goodness..

Left.

Phew.

We have both learnt a salutatory lesson - you dont get something for nothing from a slightly dodgy raffle ticket :-)

7 comments:

Marcheline said...

Yes. This is why I run screaming from those people holding pamphlets in the grocery store. If they persist, I scream loudly, "Get AWAY from me, you freak of nature!"

Not really, but you get the idea.

8-)

happyd said...

the 2 that were left, one obviously had read all the management manuals and were telling me how clever I was/ we were and constantly using our name. now it's nice to be told how smart you are but after the 2nd time you start to wonder how smart they are, then you just hate the comment!!

Mrshappyanna said...

I couldnt agree more my darling!

(I mean, douglas, you are a clever man.. you know what that tool is for and yes Douglas you know all about ten sided dirt particles that cut your carpet. and yes Douglas we really want to use your name over and over again until it wears out and you buy our overly priced expensive vaccum cleaner) Douglas? where you going? Douglas dont.. dont throw me out.. we need your money.. Dooougglaasssss....

TDAIL (TBSITW) said...

What a nightmare of an evening for you! I thought the days of this sort of selling were past, but obviously not. I had a neighbour once who gave into the salesmen and actually bought one of these! The Kirby does, apparently, work very well, but is heavy, cumbersome and VERY expensive, and who needs all these attachments? - a crevice tool is enough. I like my Dyson.
PS Finally got back to reading your blog. Look forward to more random comments from me. Also hello to Marcheline.

Mrshappyanna said...

Hello! Lovely to hear from you Dreaded Aunt in Law! Glad you came back to my blog :-)

We are Dysoned too :-)Its fine but needs sorting out quite often due to long hair (Douglases of course! lol)

love, from both xxx

TDAIL said...

I have a Dyson "Animal". Copes well with dogs' hair but not sure about D's!!!
Love to both too. xxx

Compost John said...

I do love your blog, sis.

And my 'take' on any raffle, lotery, tombola or similar 'luck-based activity' or betting wagery thing is DON'T BOTHER.

I have never placed a bet, bought a raffle or lotto ticket... nuffin. Hence, I am happy. I do not keep wondering 'When am I going to win that million?' as I know I will NEVER win a million!
Nor will I win a car, or a vacuum cleaner, or even a mouldy apple (I get those for free!), no bets required!
Keep posting, it's a grand way to tell us what's goin' on...
J
xxx