Sunday 28 June 2009

The weekend

Its been lovely having Thursday and Friday off work.. I cant remember when I have slept so much!!

Saturday

We went to the local Green Fair on Saturday - this is the 20th year the Green Party have held a little festival of all things environmental in the grounds of a church near town.

I dragged Douglas along.. not feeling at his best, and more than a little grouchy at times, but its not good for him to read his two new books cover to cover without eating, moving or blinking (yeah ok I exaggerate.. just a little but hes a terrible book worm given less than half a chance) ! Bless him, Grouchy and Grumpy he may be, but after he has Grouched and Grumped he does apologise for his bad temper which is purely him not feeling well poor lad. (I still love him - coped with ten years of him, think I can put up with a bit more yet!)




There were loads of stalls.. from solar powered panels, to how you make your own compost, general energy savings groups.. I also found that our City has its own LETS group!!! (Local Exchange Trading System) Its a way of trading skills or items without exchanging money - each area has a notional currency - here its Stones, in Loughroough it was called Leaves, in York its called Yorkies (no, not the dog) . I might join.. will have a think about it :-)

Various types of entertainment were provided at the fair.. there was a lovely folk group called Brick Budgie playing. I've never heard them before, but their vocalist reminded me of Maddie Prior. I cant find anything on t'internet about them but have a few other things in mind to try as Id love to hear them again when I had more time!


The other entertainment will look familar to some of you..



This is John, my older brother doing his juggling & diablo and unicycle performance, which goes down well with kids of all ages.


We had taken a camping chair with us, as D is still very wobbly, so he parked himself up in front of John whilst I wandered round.

After a rest, we went out to see my younger brothers daughter, Martha, perform in a local summer concert. She has recently started to learn how to play the violin, so she decided to play that, at the same time as reciting some tounge twisters.

As much as we love our neice, hearing a beginners violin tune at the same time as she recited Peter Piper Picked a Peck of Pickled Peppers was, to be honest ...... DREADFUL!! Even so, it was brave of her to get up on stage and do her bit, so we were very complimentary and encouraging to her for doing her bit. :-)

We only stayed for the first half as Douglas is still pretty weak, and was beginning to fade. We were sad to miss out the second half, as there had been some lovely musicians and a rather nice dance too. Lets hope next time D is strong enough to cope with the lot.

About an hour after we got back, D's friend Dangerous popped round for a few moments on his way to pick up a very rich bloke he drives for some weekends. He couldnt stay long, but it was nice to see him.

Sunday

The last of the great sleep ins. We went to bed quite late (watching some rubbish on telly) so after my usual being woken up by ravenous beasts, I went back to bed and didnt wake up again until 11.45am!

I made Brunch for the both of us, then in the afternoon, just as I was planning to go see my little brother, our neighbour invited us round for a goodbye party as they are moving house next weekend. It was lovely to have a chat (and a long hold of fairly new baby Agnes).

We will miss Matt, Katy, Eliza who is a very cute toddler, and baby Agnes. We will also miss their lovely ginger cat Milo!

Our new " neighbours to be " have a cat.. hope we get on well, so we can do cat sitting for each other! (Of course, getting on so we can exchange cat sitting is the most important bit of having neighbours! lol)

Back to work on Monday for me, so less exciting blog entries for a while unless something interesting happens.

Keep reading and please do leave comments - I really enjoy finding out who reads this stuff... so even if you pass by, please just leave a "hello" for me.

Thanks, Anna

4 comments:

TDAIL said...

Great to get your weekend news. Do hope Doug gets back to full health soon.

My Saturday involved taking the car to a man in a nearby small town to see if they can repair its radio/CD/clock which has been out of commission for about 3 months. Apparently the whole dashboard has to be dismantled to take the radio out to fix/replace. Sounds expensive, but I have been missing it. The man gave me a lift back to TDMIL's nearby larger town, where the Gala (children's parade) was just (by coincidence) starting. Watched that before catching bus home (a rare experience).

Otherwise this weekend - much gardening in good weather, washings, ironing, a very small bit of housework and cooking, dog walking and watching Andy Murray at Wimbley-don.

XXXXX

Marcheline said...

My Saturday involved sitting out on the patio enjoying the brief hours of sunshine between the eternal rainstorms we've had the past three months, and then toodling off to work from 4pm to midnight.

Mrshappyanna said...

I will send you some of our heatwave, Macheline! Its due to strike next week.

Oh .. please send some rain over in exchange :-D

Anna xx

Compost John said...

Hi Anna, glad you enjoyed the SGF and mentioned me in a positive light.
Just one correction, in York, our LETS currency is Yorkys not Yorkies. The local chocolate factory could get very upset if they thought we were using their bars as currency (and what the RSPCA would think about using little dogs I just don't know!) So, Yorkys please... I know it looks wrong, one Yorky, two Yorkys, but it has to be that way 'for leagal reasons'!
love to you both... John